Sunday, October 5, 2008

Things I hope you will teach my grandchildren

Some of the conference talks today alluded to the fact that one of the reasons the early church members could not establish Zion in Jackson County was that they were not united and could not live the law of consecration. I think that is one of the major stumbling blocks in the Church today. I will call it elitism, the attitude that one is somehow better than others, among the elite. There are various flavors of elitism – intellectual elitism, social elitism, financial elitism, fashion elitism, racial elitism, gender elitism, born-in-the-church vs. convert elitism, ancestry elitism, national elitism, and on and on. This is a difficult issue for me and I suspect many others. I find myself criticizing others for various traits that they have that I think are odd, annoying or unpleasant instead of recognizing that they are just people trying to do the best they can with what life has dealt them. We do not know what other people have to deal with. Until we can learn to truly have charity for others and adopt an attitude of caring and helping rather than criticizing and belittling, we will not be able to develop the type of unity that is necessary for a Zion society.

The times that we know about in the scriptures when a Zion society was achieved have been possible because the people achieved a unity and equality that extended to all people and all aspects of their lives. “And the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them.” (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:18).

“And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people. And there were no envyings, nor strifes, . . . . .neither were there Lamanites, nor any manner of –ites; but they were in one, the children of Christ, and heirs to the kingdom of God. (Book of Mormon | 4 Nephi 1:15 - 17)

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I so agree with what you've said. I've been fascinated (for lack of a better word) with the concept of unity for some time, and have given it quite a bit of thought. I think your description of "elitism" is a really good one. I look at it as feeling "safe" in the presence of others--that is, that no one is going to attack or belittle some else or make them feel in any way ostracized. It is difficult to conceive of. I hope your grandchildren will be taught correctly regarding these issues :).

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Yes, I love your musings on this subject. I know it is a lesson I need to take to heart. It is a difficult one, especially because pride can be manifest in so many ways. Thanks for your insight!