Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pioneer ancestors

Following is a poem written by Eliza R. Snow to Mrs. Eleanor Bietler Bringhurst, wife of Samuel Bringhurst. The poem was recorded in a pioneer diary of Eliza R. Snow Sunday, March 19, 1848.

My heart is full of friendship -- but for thee
It has a holier feeling than that name
Identifies. The recollection of
Thy countenance from the first time
My eyes beheld thee -- whispers something to
My thought and feeling which I never can
Describe. 'Tis undefinable so long
As mind or understanding shall remain
As circumscribed as now. But when I think
Of thee, a thrill of near affinity
O'er spreads my senses and I truly feel
Within my bosom a strong kindred tie
As tho' we'd been associated in
Existence, ere we condescended to
Our present state of being. Lady, yes,
When our small understandings shall expand
And with the recollection of the past
Some knowledge of the future be inspired
We'll find a thousand kindred ties that form
Amalgamation's wreath, and which are twined
And intertwined, combining and combined
Connecting noble spirits here and there
And still extending on from world to world
Unto creation's undefined extent.

Thus let our hearts expand and let our minds
And acts approximate towards the point
Of true perfection, that we may attain
To an association glorified
On planets more exalted and refined --
Among intelligences long since dear,
And let us cultivate the sacred ties
Of love and friendship here that will abide
Time's rugged changes and eternally
Endure.

1 comment:

Lynda/Mom said...

So how did you happen upon it? Interesting--she (Eliza R. Snow) was quite the poet, I guess. I wouldn't have know she was acquainted with Eleanor Beitler.