Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Aussies

Charles Stapely  Sarah ParkinsonCharles Stapely Sr. Sarah Bryant

Our Stapley ancestors came to Utah via Australia.  They emigrated from the area around Rolvenden, Kent, England to Australia in search of better opportunities.  While there, they were converted through the efforts of William Hyde and other missionaries and eventually emigrated to southern Utah through southern California.  Members of the family married into both the Lawrence and Bringhurst families.  Mary Janet Stapley was the wife of William Augustus Bringhurst and they are the parents of my grandmother Wilkinson.  These top two pictures are of  Charles Stapley Jr. and Sarah Parkinson, parents of Mary Janet Stapley and the bottom two are of Charles Stapley Sr. and Sarah Bryant, parents of Charles Stapley Jr.   One of their descendents, Delbert L. Stapley,  was a member of the Quorum of the 12 in the 50s when I was growing up.  

4 comments:

Austin's Mommy said...

Where did you get all these photos and the info?

Barbara said...

I always wondered how we were related to Elder Stapley. I remember Mom saying that "all the Stapleys are related," but that's all I knew.

Lynda/Mom said...

Yes, I remember Mom and Dad talking about Delbert L. Stapley and was always conscious of there being a relationship. Dee El Stapley, a relative, is a member of the Summit Ward and was formerly a bishop there. Barbara knows him from his connection with Utah education.

Unknown said...

I served my mission in Australia and it was wonderful to walk where the Spapley's walked. I went to Dungog, NSW Australia and that is where James Parksinson is buried, I also went to Raymond Terrace. It was an awesome experience to feel the spirit of my ancestors there. I loved it.