Sunday, December 21, 2008

Things I hope you will teach my grandchildren

I was asked to substitute in the Valiant B class in primary last week. The lesson was on 3 Nephi chapter 17. One of the points brought out in the lesson was that Christ perceived that the Nephites did not understand all that he had told them so he asked them to go home and “ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow” (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 17:3). The boys were to understand that they should follow the same pattern when they did not understand something in the scriptures. I had to try to explain what ponder meant and that praying without first pondering would not be nearly as effective.

I find it interesting and helpful to explore the etymology of words, especially when it is obvious that the author has carefully chosen them to convey some nuance of meaning or when they are inspired as in this case. As Janet pointed out some years ago in Gospel ‘Doctrine class, ponder comes from the same root as pound as in weight. It has the connotation of assessing the importance or value of something. It involves critically thinking about and weighing the importance of an idea. I think in today’s society we have too little opportunity for pondering. I like to ponder as I am involved in some activity that does not require my full mental concentration. There used to be many more of those activities in the days when there were not so many labor saving appliances. What few opportunities we have today, we tend to fill with other distractions, like i-pods, etc.

I think it is important to make time for pondering. Instead of listening to the i-pod while mowing the lawn or doing the dishes, or cleaning the house, take time to ponder occasionally. Think of a scripture or a gospel topic you do not fully understand or that interests you and mull it over in your mind (mull from M.E. mullyn "grind to powder, pulverize,", divide it up into small pieces and examine it carefully). Then go back and re-read it and pray about it.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Great suggestions!! One of my best ponder times is when I'm in the car alone. If you don't have the radio or something on, it is a good time to think things through and consider questions, etc. I think it helps to ponder on life's problems and current situations as well, and by so doing I think we often receive inspiration and guidance. I think the Lord tries to find times in our lives when our minds are not so cluttered or occupied to give us guidance. If we never have such times, it is difficult for Him to get through and inspire us to do the things He wants us to do. Thanks, Rich.

Lynda/Mom said...

Enjoyed the post, as usual. I find in the converse or the obverse or some kind of "verse" that if I want to ponder or pay close attention it helps to do something with my hands that keeps that part of my psyche busy so I can concentrate. I like to knit or crochet or clean the house or something while I listen to and think about talk tapes or scripture tapes or the like. Then once I am intellectually stimulated I can continue on those lines of thought. See how you provoke us to ponder and mull over these ideas!!