Thursday, March 26, 2009

Missionary Service

I found this information in Grandpa Wilkinson's book of remembrance. I didn't remember hearing about this short-term mission before. It is one of several missions he served for the Church.

Tis is the official Call letter from President Grant


At the time (Nov 16, 1925) Grandpa was about a month away from his 36th birthday. He was married and had 4 children ages 11, 8, 5, and 3 years old. I don't know what his occupation was at the time, but probably some sort of sales.

Elder S.R.W. Wilkinson

3 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

It sounds vaguely familiar that he was called to serve this mission, but I have not seen documentation to that effect before. Too bad Mom isn't around to comment. Thanks for sharing--it seems strange in this day to call a man to leave his family like that. I wonder how they fared while he was gone.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Thanks for sharing. In my gospel doctrine class we compared and contrasted how calls/missions are today vs. the early days of the church. It would've been fun to print this call as an example, but I still enjoyed reading it.

Barbara said...

I remember Mom talking about this mission and how difficult it was to have Grandpa gone over Christmas, etc. They struggled some to have what they needed while he was gone, as I recall. Mom definitely remembered it and what it was like.