Saturday, August 9, 2008

Surgery Update

If you have to have surgery, this is a good one. I was out of the surgery center by 9:30 (surgery was scheduled for 8:00, I don't know exactly what time they started). The rest of the day I had to put in eye drops every 2 hours and wear a shield. Otherwise I could be out and about, but no strenuous activity and no lifting over 14 lbs. There is virtually no pain. The next day I went in for a follow up visit. I had 20/30 vision in the operated eye which the doctor said is very good for so soon after surgery. Pressure was good, etc. and I could remove the shield except at night. Had to continue the drops every 2 hours for 2 more days. They are now down to 4 times per day. I am not supposed to overdo reading for a few days. I have been out and about working on misc. things around the house, reformatting Suzanne's computer, etc. Have to wear the shield at night and continue the drops for abt 2 weeks.

They marked an L on my forehead just above the eyebrow with a permanent marker to show which eye was being operated on and they took the lens out of my glasses on that side, so I have been going about town with an L painted on and one lens missing. Also, I cannot shower or shave or wash my hair for 3 or 4 days, so I must have been a pretty weird sight shopping around town for stuff. The frame of my glasses also broke the night before the surgery, so I have to use an old pair. Since I don't want to spend much on glasses I won't be using for long, I will get the lens for the other eye replaced and a blank lens put in for the operated eye for the old frames till I get the second eye done.

3 comments:

jared and mary 2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jared and mary 2 said...

I'm glad that it went well.

Shame about being marked a loser though (L on your forehead). Don't you believe it!

It's got to be exciting to look forward to having the other eye done and the end of glasses.

Barbara said...

Glad you've got your surgery behind you and that it went so well. Carol
Ann may be doing her other eye in a couple of weeks. She has an appointment on the 22nd of August to be checked (here in Provo) and will stay for surgery the next week if she needs to have it done. Hopefully hers will go as well. I'm starting on house stuff again--getting my other upstairs bathroom started this week. Good luck with your projects!!