Sunday, August 31, 2008

Team Picture

One of the basket ball teams coached by my Grandfather Wilkinson.

Grandpa Wilkinson is standing at the rear. The players are:
Front row - unidentified, Wood Urie, Vernon Lunt
Back row - Tom Thornley, Darwin Nelson, unidentified, Dan Webster

For those of you who know Ned Lunt, Vernon Lunt was an uncle of his, if I remember correctly what he told me. I don't know which school this was. Grandpa was a school teacher before he decided that it didn't pay enough and went into other things. I think he coached some at the BAC in Cedar City also. The school was established in 1897 as a branch of the state teacher training school, then became the following
1897-1913 Branch Normal School
1913-1953 Branch Agricultural College
1953-1969 College of Southern Utah
1969-1990 Southern Utah State College
1991-present Southern Utah University

Grandpa Wilkinson and I believe Grandma Lawrence both graduated from there before becoming teachers. An interesting side note for our immediate family, our bishop in the Madison 1st Ward in Wisconsin, Steven D. Bennion, was president there from 1997-2006

1 comment:

Lynda/Mom said...

Didn't Dad go to school there? Maybe I'm just misremembering. Again, thanks for the history!!